The Hudson Highlands Nature Museum has grown into a leading provider of nature education experiences in the Hudson Valley. Its mission is to develop responsible caretakers of the natural world through its special focus on Environmental Education. It uses its living collections of native animals, natural habitats and trails to present a wide variety of programs for people of all ages at its two locations. Learn more below!
Outdoor Discovery Center (ODC)
Sorry, pets are not welcome on the preserve.
The Outdoor Discovery Center is located on Muser Drive, across from 174 Angola Road, Cornwall. Get Directions here. PLEASE NOTE: The ODC Entrance is on Angola Road. There is NO ACCESS from 9W.
Visitors Center & Nature Shop
Open Saturdays & Sundays 10am-4pm from mid-April to mid-November and throughout the year during most Nature Museum Programs and Events.
Free parking is available onsite
Open Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4pm. Phone number: 845-534-5506 Address: 120 Muser Dr., Cornwall Mailing address: P.O. Box 451 Cornwall, NY 12508.
Grasshopper Grove: Nature Play Area
Open Saturdays & Sundays mid-April through mid-November & Fridays, July 6 - August 31 from 10am-4pm Admission*: Museum Members are free. Not-yet-Members: $3 ages 2 and up. (*Admission will be $5 beginning September 1 2018*) Click here to learn more about Grasshopper Grove
Are open daily from dawn to dusk unless otherwise noted - Free admission Click below for trail map.
**Please note: The RED TRAIL is currently CLOSED. We are sorry for any inconvenience.
Most weekend nature programs held at this location.
Dogs are not welcome on the preserve.
Wildlife Education Center (WEC)
Days and hours of operation
- Summer Hours: (Memorial Day to Labor Day weekend) Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 12pm-4pm
- Fall-Spring Hours: Saturdays and Sundays from 12pm-4pm
- Meet the Animals: Saturdays and Sundays at 1pm & 2:30pm year round
- Please note: The WEC will be CLOSED on the following date(s): Saturday, & Sunday August 25 & 26 (For Butterfly Weekend at the Outdoor Discovery Center). We are sorry for any inconvenience.
25 Boulevard, Cornwall-on-Hudson. Find directions here
Museum Members - Free. Not-yet-Members - $3 per person ages 3 and up (*Admission will be $5 beginning September 1 2018*)
About the WEC
The Wildlife Education Center (WEC) is the home of many animals that can be found in our local woods, fields, ponds and rivers including, rabbits, turtles, frogs, toads, salamanders, snakes and fish. As well as a screech owl, a great horned owl, and of course the crowd favorite, Edgar, our resident crow that says "hello!"
You can also enjoy our on-going family friendly programs and exhibits included in admission:
- "Meet the Animals": Saturdays and Sundays at 1pm & 2:30pm.
- The "Birds On The Wing" exhibit in the Ogden Gallery: This interactive and engaging exhibit will provide a new level of engagement for visitors featuring interactive elements for kids of all ages. Join us for a bird picnic, don your own set of wings, settle down in a comfy nest, observe bird behavior and see how your wingspan compares to some of the Hudson Valley’s biggest birds. While you play, find out what makes birds amazing. How do woodpeckers make holes without getting brain damage? Why are hawks so good at hunting? What are birds saying to each other when they make all that noise? Which birds can you expect to see in your back yard?This exhibit made possible in part by The Dorr Foundation
Click here to enjoy a brief video in order to learn more about the Wildlife Education Center, the Nature Museum, its mission, and some of the many wonderful programs offered!
For more information call 845-534-7781